#181-183: Wine Trends Issue
- California Close-Up: Top producers’ new releases reviewed
- Is Red Bordeaux Rising On-Premise?
- Special Report: Wines of Germany: Rieslings & Silvaners; Pinot Noirs & Lembergers
- Wonderful 2015 white and red Burgundies; Ornellaia 2015; and a range of Italian wine white and red wine values.
Below is a summary of issue #181-183, published Sept-Dec 2018 and Jan-Feb 2019. This issue is available for purchase online by clicking “Add to Cart” below.
Buy This Issue: $60
An electronic PDF of this issue will be emailed to you upon receipt of payment.
Featured in This Issue
On-Premise Wine Forecast & What’s Trending in Wine On-Premise
What lies ahead in 2019 on-premise? We have some thoughts and observations. And we single out 7 wine categories that are thriving…
Is Red Bordeaux Rising On-Premise?
We taste 80 leading wines from the celebrated vintage, and recommend 74. Of these, 21 wines receive 5-star ratings—i.e., exemplary wines in their price categories—one wine each from Listrac-Medoc, Moulis-en-Medoc, and Pomerol; two wines each from St. Estephe and St. Julien; three wines each from Margaux and Pessac-Leognan; and eight from St. Emilion. We also taste 46 wines from the good—but lesser—2013 vintage, and find more than a dozen wines that truly impress.
Conversations with New Master Sommeliers
In the US in 2018, seven persons earned the prestigious Master Sommelier title. We speak with five of them:
- Morgan Harris, MS, Angler, San Francisco, California
- Dana Gaiser, MS, Fine Wine Sales, Lauber Imports, Ltd., New York, New York
- Maximilian Kast, MS, Broadbent Selections, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Douglas Kim, MS, Sommelier, Picasso, Bellagio, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Steven McDonald, MS, Wine Director, Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, Houston, Texas
Harris passed in September. The others in December.
An Extraordinary Range of Top Wines Recommended:
775 Wines from 14 Countries Reviewed
- Very fine 2016 Chardonnays
- 2017 Sauvignon Blancs, Pinot Gris, and Roses
- Wonderful Cabernet Sauvignons & Merlot, from Napa to Washington State
- Superb 2015 & 2016 Pinot Noirs, with a focus on Russian River Valley
- Rhone-style blends & varietals
- Petite Sirah, from Monterey to St. Helena
Special Report: Wines of Montefalco
Outstanding white and red wines from this noted district in Umbria, including some of the best Rossos we have tasted.
Great values from Argentina, Australia, Austria, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, and Uruguay.
- Fine Australian Shirazs
- Inniskillin Icewines
- 2016 White Burgundy
- 2016 Cru Beaujolais
- 2015 Rhone Valley reds
- Tokaj Estate Furmints
- Top Brunellos
- Top Barolos & Barbarescos
- Great Gimblett Gravels reds
- Outstanding Douro reds
- Exceptional Riojas